Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Years: Think Big

Getting it Together:

With the New Year the stores are once again filled with every organizational device imaginable. Storage boxes of all sizes and shapes...gadgets to make your life easier and less cluttered, and books on how-to-do it all in the New Year. Yet, I've found one thing missing. There is no one telling us to think-big. There are plenty of books with coping with the recession, and how to find jobs and even experts telling  us that the recession is over. Tell that to the jobless in Southwest Florida, where I reside. I don't think they will be in total agreement. Yes, the recession has eased a bit but there is a long way to go. One way to ease ourselves away from a recession-mentality is to point our expectations toward our willingness to think outside of the box.

Shoot for the Top

I've always been a big-thinker. That is the way I am wired. When I was in school I considered many jobs as possibilities but each had an outcome and the only real goal was the top position. Coming from a family of entrepreneurs it makes sense that I would follow in their footsteps. With owning your own business comes the risks as well as the reward. Whether or not you own your business there is always something to strive for...and aiming for the top shows you are not afraid of hard work and the sweat that goes into a job well done.

For me (as a past educator) everything boils down to an understanding of the vocabulary and the sense that we are on the same page. Thinking big can mean many things and to each of us something different. Here is the sense in which I think of when talking about this ideal.

Thinking big includes:

Not sweating the small stuff
Doing a job to the best of your ability
Doing a job even when it is not your job
Getting things completed by the deadline
Thinking outside of the box
Over delivering on a project
Working hard and not looking at who else is or is not working hard
Not worrying whose idea it was, only how the idea came to fruition

Do you see where I am going with this? Thinking big is getting the job done, by the deadline (self imposed or external) and doing it to the best of your ability. In the past posts on this blog I've been talking about blogging. Use this idea of thinking Big on your blog. Why? Well, in order to obtain readers you need to offer them something they want to come back for...and come back...and tell others...and continue to return. In the next posts I will be sharing about other social media outlets and the pros and cons of each.

In the mean time, begin the New Year by thinking B-I-G...and let us know how you plan to use your big plans in the new year!

You can visit Felice on  her website at http://www.InformationInANutshell.com

0 comments: