Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Are we taking care of ourselves?

Hi to the best women's networking group around!

The last few times we talked, I had left us with the challenge of doing one thing every day to increase our health, eating habits, or fitness. How is that going?

Here are a few things that I am trying on this journey. I did go out and join a Gym. If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you would know that I usually don't advocate the need of a formal fitness place to get in shape. One thing I have found about me is that I don't push myself quite as hard at home as I have at the Gym. I'm going to attempt to work out twice a week with the weights and machines, Friday mornings for Zumba and I have reserved Saturday and Sunday early mornings for a long fitness walk with my husband as I have a strong need to be outside to work out. So, that is good, I'm working out a little harder and we'll see how that fits into my schedule and I'll keep you all posted on how that is going!

This past week, I've also tried to be very mindful of adding in an extra serving of vegetables during my day. It has been going pretty well, (for this week). For instance, at dinner I have been having two large servings of non-starchy vegetables and a small amount of protein. And in the afternoon, instead of a junky snack, I have actually cut up a cucumber or had some baby carrots.

Speaking of the baby carrots, I have found a product that tastes really amazing and it is totally good for you. It is a soft, spreadable cheese that tastes like a decadent dip for veggies or pita bread, etc. The brand is called Allouette. My favorite flavor is the Garlic and Herb Light, believe it or not the "light" tastes better than the full-fat version. I have only found it at Publix, it is by all the other spreadable cheeses. Get this, for 2 tablespoons, it only has 50 calories, 4 gms of fat, and the cool thing is, it tastes great!

Another cool find is the freeze-dried fruit at Fresh Market, by Bell Tower in Ft. Myers. My problem with fruit is it usually goes bad by the time I get around to finishing it. There is a product that comes in single serving size bags and each bag equals one piece of fruit. They are called Crispy Green (they are crispy), and there are no preservatives, colorings, or additives of any kind. The ingredients for the Asian Pears for instance says, "Asian Pears". They have bananas, mangoes, etc. So far, my favorite is the pears.

So, whether you are a "work from home mom", a "stay-at-home mom" or will be busy out training women in business this week, I hope you find these tips useful.

Lynda Waldron, Health Coach
LDWaldron@yahoo.com
www.takecontrolnow.TSFL.com

0 comments: